Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Call queues have no option for max timer or overflow in standard, non-VCC call queues

Posted 02-14-2022 09:37
    We use Teams integration and use standard plain-old call queues for our operator groups at our 25 sites. The problem is that there is no option in Admin to set the max amount of time a call can sit in queue before it goes to voicemail or overflows to another user/ring group/queue.  If an agent forgets to manage their login/logout status properly we wind up with callers getting stuck in queue indefinitely while the call continues to be offered to the absent agent. Ideally there could just be a max call timer and the caller would at least go to voicemail after a defined time. This is a standard feature on any call queue I have set up on any phone system in my 25 years in telecom so not sure why it isn't here in 8x8.  I want a fail-safe in the inevitable case that a human will forget to do something. We currently have 30-50% abandon rate with some callers holding for 5-10 minutes before giving up. I would want to send them somewhere else after 60 sec.

I have already submitted this as a feature enhancement request through "Send Feedback" but if any of you are suffering from the same problem it might help to have you submit feedback as well. 

------------------------------
    Eric Nye

• 2.  RE: Call queues have no option for max timer or overflow in standard, non-VCC call queues

Posted 02-15-2022 06:28
    Eric, We have also run into this concern.  We have typically used ring groups because of their ability to go to a group voicemail.  In one case, we wanted to take advantage of the call queue feature of being able to log in/out to determine if you receive a call or not and ran into the same concern you brought up.  As a temp solution, there is an option you can record to press 2 to go to voicemail if you wish to use it.  It isn't a catch-all but does provide the caller the option to leave a voicemail.  The option is at the bottom of the IVR section in a call queue.

Dennis

Dennis Austad

• 3.  RE: Call queues have no option for max timer or overflow in standard, non-VCC call queues

Posted 02-15-2022 06:47

Dennis,

Thanks for the thoughtful response.  I found that the "press 2 for voicemail" option does work, but only if you set the "delay after not answering" out to longer than the "repeat queue message interval". If it is shorter, then it just keeps ringing that agent who forgot to log out, over and over.  I still think there must be a way for them to introduce a max call timer so I would also have the option to overflow to not just voicemail but to another destination.

Eric Nye

• 4.  RE: Call queues have no option for max timer or overflow in standard, non-VCC call queues

Posted 02-16-2022 01:15
    Sounds more like a training issue rather than an 8x8 issue. The call centres I've worked on the agents are disciplined to use dnd if away from desk or to log out. Of course, if you stay logged in then causes an issue, especially if the call centre closes at a particular time and people go home without logging out. Most systems are like this out of the tin, which is where contact centre comes in, which allows you to bounce a call if not answered by an agent. Everything is license driven. A visual wallboard can remedy this using the X4 license which shows available agents in the queue detail. Think of call queues as if you absolutely do not want it to go to voicemail (unless press an option to go there) and ring groups will end up in voicemail if no answer. The option to press 2 to go to voicemail would be a way out, especially if the message states opening hours and the call is beyond this.

Neil

• 5.  RE: Call queues have no option for max timer or overflow in standard, non-VCC call queues

Level 1 Contributor
    Posted 02-16-2022 05:22

Great input on this thread. Just adding my two cents on this discussion about the additional customization available with contact center. 

Setting up queue timeouts and overflows are available (see thread Contact Center Calls Not Moving to Overflow) plus other features like reporting.

If contact center like functions are important within an organization, may be worth considering the upgrade as Neil has pointed out.

Jahmal Abbott

• 6.  RE: Call queues have no option for max timer or overflow in standard, non-VCC call queues

Posted 02-16-2022 06:05
    I agree it is a training issue generally but would still like to have the max call timer for overflow if users forget to do what they are supposed to do. For us at each of our 25 offices we have groups of people who have other job functions but we want them to answer operator calls. It's different from having someone working in a call center where they know that maintaining their queue state is a primary job function.  We aren't prepared to move up to the cost of VCC so we are trying to leverage the built in function without having to go ring groups which blast everyone at once.  Thanks for the feedback Neil.

Eric Nye

• 7.  RE: Call queues have no option for max timer or overflow in standard, non-VCC call queues

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 07-06-2022 13:21

Here is how a customer gets suck in queue, even with perfect training.

The last CSR is on a call and there is another call in queue. When the call ends, the CSR logs out immediately to end their shift, this leaves the customer stuck in queue forever.

• 8.  RE: Call queues have no option for max timer or overflow in standard, non-VCC call queues

Posted 07-06-2022 13:21

Hello,

I have to agree with Eric...to have callers stuck in queues indefinitely is not a great incoming caller experience...yes to add some sort of timer on the call queue would be the answer....their will always be human element that will forget to log out of queues when finishing for the day...

Thanks