Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Thread closed by the administrator, not accepting new replies.
  • 1.  Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 10-26-2021 10:34
    No replies, thread closed.

Hello again, 8x8 Users!

We are once again pleased to feature 8x8's @Andy Rawll as we field your questions on a new new tailored experience that delivers efficiency and productivity for anyone assigned to an operator or receptionist role: 8x8 Frontdesk!

From finding skilled receptionists for your main office numbers and general enquiries lines, to handling high call volumes while making sure first-time callers are consistently connected, join Andy right here, 8-9 a.m. PT, November 9, 2021, to ask all your operator-related questions and learn more about how 8x8 Frontdesk can help make every call count.

On the date and time noted above, simply sign in, come back to this thread, post any questions you have below, and follow along with the discussion. (There is no dial-in information or webinar link.)

Can't make it? Click here to send us any questions you have on this topic ahead of time.

#AskMeAnything

------------------------------
    Joel, 8x8 Global Customer Care
    (he/him/his)
    Minneapolis

• 2.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-08-2021 15:59

Friendly reminder that Tuesday is the day to join us with @Andy Rawll to ask and hear all about 8x8 Frontdesk! Be back here on this thread Nov 9, 8-9 am PT, to watch and participate live. You can also click here to submit questions ahead of time and revisit this discussion at your leisure afterward to review what was covered.

See you soon!

(he/him/his)
    Minneapolis

• 3.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 08:02
    And...we're live!  Welcome to the latest AMA on 8x8 Communities.

Today's topic is 8x8 Frontdesk, the call handling experience, within the 8x8 Work for Desktop app, for users in receptionist or operator roles.  

I'm looking forward to your questions on any aspect of the product or the use-cases that it targets

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    Senior Manager, Product Marketing
    8x8

• 4.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-09-2021 08:08
    Excited to have you back today @Andy Rawll, thank you again!​​ To start, can you let us know, what IS 8x8 Frontdesk? (Front Desk?) Is it a new separate 8x8 app?

(he/him/his)
    Minneapolis

• 5.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 08:13
    Hi Joel.

Actually, that's one of the most popular questions!   

The formal product name is 8x8 Frontdesk - one word, big F, small d.

Simply stated, it provides a new full-screen call handling experience for users in receptionist or operator roles.

It features as part of the standard 8x8 Work for Desktop app and can be enabled for any user that has the 8x8 X Series X4 license. 

So there's no additional software to install and activated users can opt to use the standard compact Work for Desktop UI or the expanded 8x8 Frontdesk experience.  

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    8x8

• 6.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-09-2021 08:16
    Another very popular question that has come from more users than we have space to name is: What's the difference between this and Switchboard Pro, which is also geared toward the operator/receptionist user? Is Frontdesk an enhancement to that, but you still need to purchase SWB?

(he/him/his)
    Minneapolis

• 7.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 08:28
    Switchboard Pro and its non-Pro predecessor have been around for over 7 years. 8x8 Frontdesk represents a clear and significant evolution in a number of areas.

1) Yes, it's been designed specifically for users in receptionist and operator roles.
    2) It's a full softphone-based solution, as part of Work for Desktop, so there's no need to integrate a 3rd party handset to take/make calls
    3) It's not a standalone browser-based app and benefits from the superfast response times and robust call handling that the long-established 8x8 Work for Desktop app (formerly 8x8 Virtual Office) delivers.
    4) Users also benefit from the extended feature-set from the Work for Desktop interface, including: meetings, fax, recordings, call stats and analytics; calendar synchronization with Google Workspace and Microsoft Office 365 and associated integrations, including Salesforce.com and Microsoft Teams.

There is no interdependency between Switchboard Pro and 8x8 Frontdesk - they are separate user experiences. We're encouraging any remaining active Switchboard Pro users to move to 8x8 Frontdesk as part of a no-charge migration plan.

New customers or existing customers that aren't using Switchboard Pro can adopt Frontdesk, simply by allocating an X4 license to any user that needs access to the interface as part of their role.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    8x8

• 8.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-09-2021 08:27
    Hi @Andy Rawll! We use Teams here. Does the 8x8 Frontdesk ​work with that?

Carly Wohlers

• 9.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 08:35
    Hi Carly

Yes, 8x8 Frontdesk can be used as part of our 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams solution, which enables an operator/receptionist to answer and connect calls to users with either the 8x8 Work app or Microsoft Teams client interface, including those enabled with 8x8's Microsoft solution certified Contact Center solution.

Better still, 8x8 supports presence synchroniziation with Microsoft Teams, so the 8x8 Frontdesk user can see the real-time status of all users, providing support for the best of both worlds.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    8x8

• 10.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 11-09-2021 08:32

since it looks like this is out now, can any user just turn it on for themselves in the 8x8 app? might be confusing?

• 11.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 08:41
    The 8x8 Frontdesk experience is not accessible by default to all X4 users. The X4 license includes the entitlement to access 8x8 Frontdesk, however the capability has to enabled by the system manager (via the 8x8 Admin Console interface). This ensures that only users, that need/expect to have access to Frontdesk, can see the option.

Once enabled for a user, a new 'bell' icon appears in the left navigation bar of 8x8 Work for Desktop. A user can switch from standard mode to Frontdesk mode by selecting the 'bell'.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    8x8

• 12.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-09-2021 08:44

i see. if the user is in frontdesk mode but gets a call to their direct extension, do they have to switch back to the regular interface to answer the call? what about for chats?

• 13.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 08:52
    Once in "receptionist" mode, the user is associated with the relevant call queues assigned to their receptionist groups, so they will be unavailable to take calls to their personal line

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    8x8

• 14.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-09-2021 08:36
    @Andy Rawll - We got a couple of questions via the submission form from customers​ not yet on X Series. Can receptionist users on our legacy or Editions services use Frontdesk?

(he/him/his)
    Minneapolis

• 15.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 08:46
    8x8 Frontdesk is supported with X Series licensing only.

Specifically, Pro, X4, X6, X7, X8. It does not support Legacy or Editions environments.

The minimum requirements are Work for Desktop v7.11 (current version v7.13) and Admin Console v1.29.1 (current version v1.30)

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    8x8

• 16.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-09-2021 08:43
    Hi there. I was in a focus group the other week where someone was taking a look at this because it had just launched, but they said it looked like call parking isn't there? Is that a planned feature?

Michelle Viray
    Sr. Support Business Operations Manager
    8x8 Inc.

• 17.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 09:00
    Well spotted!  That was then. The great news is that we have a rolling thunder of monthly releases for the 8x8 Work for Desktop app, including updates, enhancements and new options for 8x8 Frontdesk.

The initial launch version (September 2021) was v7.11 and did not include call parking. The current release v7.12 (October 2021) added public call parking and we're about to release this month's v7.13 update, which adds private call parking. 

This is particularly significant as it brings 8x8 Frontdesk to feature parity with Switchboard Pro, so we're expecting any remaining users to jump over.

Bookmark this page for the latest information https://docs.8x8.com/8x8WebHelp/8x8-frontdesk/Content/fd/what-is-new.htm

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    8x8

• 18.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-09-2021 09:09
    Great to know. Thank you Andy :)

Michelle Viray
    Sr. Support Business Operations Manager
    8x8 Inc.

• 19.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-09-2021 08:59
    Hi Andy! Our team here wanted me to ask how many calls the new Frontdesk can handle at once. (Thanks for another great session!)

Eileen Quinn

• 20.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 09:03
    The current version of 8x8 Frontdesk enables a single receptionist to answer, manage and connect up to six concurrent calls, including the ability to hold and park calls during call consultation.

Multiple receptionists can be aligned and assigned to the same call queue, enabling you to scale call handling capacity.

We plan to offer further scaling options in upcoming releases, so please do watch this space.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    8x8

• 21.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-09-2021 09:07

since this has been out for a bit, what do customers think of it?  what kind of feedback is coming in, and how are you planning to use that feedback?

• 22.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 09:18
    As the success of 8x8 Frontdesk hinged on the effectiveness of the call handling experience, we subjected it to an extended pre-release trial period with a wide range of 8x8 customers in the US, UK and Australia. The product and the user experience evolved considerably, based on timely, valuable and often frank feedback.

We've been heartened by the overwhelmingly great comments from those that previewed the final version of the product before its launch in 8 weeks ago. Here are some of those:
    "Even our less technologically experienced users found 8x8 Frontdesk easy to learn and use."
    "With the 8x8 Frontdesk interface, I feel much more organized and empowered."
    "The intuitive user interface and capabilities increase call-handling efficiency, absolutely making my job easier."
    "8x8 Frontdesk allows your team to easily answer, transfer, and manage your call queue from anywhere. It is everything you could ask for."

Equally, gratifying is that the analyst community were so impressed with the pre-launch preview of 8x8 Frontdesk, with the result being that it was nominated as a Finalist for 'Best in Show' at Enterprise Connect 2021.

You can watch the full-length video-based testimonials as part of the 8x8 Frontdesk webinar here: https://www.8x8.com/frontdesk

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    8x8

• 23.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

AMA Expert
    Posted 11-09-2021 09:31
    ....and that's all we have time for today.

Very many thanks to all of you that stopped-by today to join this AMA on 8x8 Frontdesk, in particular to those that posed excellent questions.

I hope that you found the session informative and will keep in touch with us via the Open Forums on the 8x8 Community pages and your regular 8x8 contacts.

If you want to find out more about 8x8 Frontdesk, here are two key reference resources:
    * Online documentation: https://docs.8x8.com/8x8WebHelp/8x8-frontdesk/Content/fd/frontdesk.htm
    * Product home page: https://www.8x8.com/8x8-frontdesk

Cheers

Andy

Andy Rawll
    8x8

• 24.  RE: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Andy Rawll: 8x8 Frontdesk

Posted 11-09-2021 09:36

Thank you very much again @Andy Rawll, and huge thanks to everyone who posted and sent such great questions! Wanna keep the Frontdesk conversation going? Start a new discussion thread with any thoughts or questions you have!

We'll close this thread up now, and we look forward to you joining us at our last AMA​ of the year in December! Stay tuned for more!

(he/him/his)
    Minneapolis