Open Forum

View Only

Unwanted SMS

Scott Lucas's profile image
Scott Lucas posted 01-23-2022 02:17
I get SMS messages from bogus sources on my Android smartphone using the 8x8 mobile app.  I cannot find a way to delete or block these numbers.  The only thing I can see is an option to hide the conversation.  How do I get rid of them and block them?  Thanks.
Jahmal Abbott's profile image
Level 1 Contributor Jahmal Abbott

Hi Scott,

I occasionally get these messages too on my 8x8 Work number and mobile carrier number. 

You can hide the conversation but unfortunately there isn’t an option to block this number from the app. The work around suggested by 8x8 is to change the number according to this support article Can I block SMS?

Another option is to unsubscribe to each spam text which may / may not be practical depending upon how bad it is.  

Before unsubscribing, it’s a good idea to Google the 5 digit short code to determine the legitimacy of the sender as these are registered with the major wireless providers. 

For instance, I was able to verify that the code shown in your screenshot does belong to Circle K. For this one you should be safe to unsubscribe. 

Personally if it’s that bad, I rather change my number since we don’t know how many times the previous user of the number has signed up for other services.
Spam text is a problem that grows by the day affecting several mobile phones across different carriers. 
We’ve seen the FCC step in to enforce the use of STIR/SHAKEN protocol by carriers for caller ID purposes.
Hopefully we’ll see some solutions too for unwanted text specific to 8x8’s platform. 
Jahmal Abbott's profile image
Level 1 Contributor Jahmal Abbott

@Scott Lucas 8x8 recently added this feature to the desktop app. It doesn't look like it's available on the mobile app yet but it's a start in blocking these annoying messages.