Open Forum

View Only

OBI 300 No SRTP Support

Jesse Cortez's profile image
Jesse Cortez posted 07-07-2022 11:29
Hello. We recently transitioned to 8x8 and we purchased Obi converters for our overhead paging system. We just learned that the device does not support SRTP. This is concerning because I don't want to introduce a potential vulnerability. Does anyone use an OBI with their overhead paging system? If so, what are you doing to secure the data?
Jahmal Abbott's profile image
Level 1 Contributor Jahmal Abbott
Hi Jesse,

Thanks for bringing this up. I’m not aware of the lack of SRTP on this device. I recently bought this ATA and plan to set this up. In addition, I can validate support for SRTP. More to come soon…
Jesse Cortez's profile image
Jesse Cortez
Hi Jahmal, here is the 8x8 doc that confirms that SRTP is not compatible. 

Do ATA Adapters support SRTP? - 8x8 Support
Jahmal Abbott's profile image
Level 1 Contributor Jahmal Abbott

Thanks for the link Jesse. I setup my OBI300 today and while it made an outgoing call with SRTP enabled, the subsequent incoming call was all static leading me to disabling it all together.

What comes to mind is as an alternative searching for a SIP speaker that supports SRTP.

I’ve seen that Algo is a brand that advertises 8x8 and SRTP support but the knowledge base articles I’ve ran across doesn’t suggest to enable SRTP on these devices How to Set up an Algo Device for 8x8 Service).

It might be worth submitting a case to see if 8x8 can recommend some solutions to your situation.