Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for Pro Tips: Work from home

Level 1 Contributor
    Posted 10-14-2021 05:01
    Now that most people have been home for months, we consider you all PROS!, share how you work from home, what worked, or did not work in setting up your corner to work in. What equipment are you using? and how are you managing the work/life balance do tools like work hours help?

Always remember our free online video training

------------------------------
    Paul Chase
    8x8 Network Engineer (Pre-Sales and Deployment)

• 2.  RE: Looking for Pro Tips: Work from home

Level 1 Contributor
    Posted 10-14-2021 05:05
    One of my favorite tips is using Hyperlink formatting when chatting with people. this allows them (and others) to search workD/W/M chat history link names/topics vs long URLS. Example: https://support.8x8.com/cloud-phone-service/voice/work-desktop/format_chat_message_text_in_workd VS WorkD Chat Formatting options

Paul Chase
    8x8 Network Engineer (Pre-Sales and Deployment)

• 3.  RE: Looking for Pro Tips: Work from home

Posted 10-14-2021 05:39
    ha! Paul!  I knew about some of the formatting options, but not that one.  Good one.

I had to look it up.  And, in case anyone else want to know what the available Chat formatting options are  >click here<

Steve O'Neal
    Sr. Deployment Engineer
    8x8 Center of Excellence
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5ZlPF5hYa-scDJp7nyzlQ

• 4.  RE: Looking for Pro Tips: Work from home

Posted 10-14-2021 18:27

Thanks so much @Paul Chase, I'm excited to get a look at how others are dealing with the move to remote work with this thread -- or maybe some of you have been doing this for years and have some wisdom to share!

The hardest part of having my office at home was learning to "leave." This was especially difficult in our apartment last year, where my setup comprised a corner of our single-room dining, living, and kitchen area. If a screen was on, I could not escape the pull of going to check on things, answer another email, start another task. I didn't realize the toll this was taking on me until months into it, and I was able to cope a little by making sure to turn my monitors off when the workday was done.

In our new home, I am lucky to have a dedicated room for my office, so I can more physically escape the workstation. But I always make sure to close the door completely when I leave.

One thing that I've put to a ton of use just moving around our home is the ability to flip calls and meetings between the 8x8 Work Desktop and Mobile apps. That has allowed me an incredible amount of flexibility and opportunities for some welcome, simple physical activity throughout the day.

And when I'm on video in a meeting, the slight blur is my go-to background option.

Joel, 8x8 Global Customer Care
    (he/him/his)
    Minneapolis

• 5.  RE: Looking for Pro Tips: Work from home

AMA Expert
    Posted 10-15-2021 05:26
    Hi Paul - 

My biggest challenges as a virtual worker are (1) establishing work/life balance and (2) dealing with the isolation. 

With regard to the work/life balance, I invested in a fitness watch and do my best to get my 10K steps in daily.  This forces me to leave my desk, breathe in fresh air, and take a small break.   I often listen to motivational podcasts during my walks (Jay Shetty's On Purpose is a Favorite) to gain fresh perspective.  Surprisingly some of my best work ideas have emerged during these time outs. 

In terms of isolation, forums like this user community provide a wonderful opportunity to connect with people.  I've found it's important to factor in some small talk during video conferences to connect on a human level prior to getting down to business.  And of course, 8x8's collaboration tools make a world of difference.  Sharing emojis, staying on camera, leveraging interesting backgrounds --- they are good ways to build relationships in a virtual world.

Nancy Zimmermann
    Sr. Manager, Customer Marketing
    8x8
    Let's connect!
    nancy.zimmermann@8x8.com