Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Do you operate in set business hours, or are you the always-plugged-in type?

Posted 05-18-2021 21:01
    One of my favorite 8x8 Work for Mobile app (iOS | Android | Amazon) features is Business Hours, which allows you to toggle and configure an option that mutes all 8x8 Work notifications outside of specified days and hours. Especially over the past year and a half, working from home and dramatically blurring the lines between my personal and professional spaces, setting this option has helped me to unplug, recharge, and focus on my family.

I do, however, feel a twinge of guilt and anxiety using this option -- What if there's an emergency? What if someone really needs to get ahold of me? We have multiple contingencies for critical situations, of course, but my entire being is one that wants be of service and remove friction.

How about you? Do you use the 8x8 Work Business Hours option? Do you engage the "nuclear option" of DND? How else do you actively untether... or do you at all?

#workformobile #wfh​​

------------------------------
    Joel, 8x8 Global Customer Care
    Minneapolis

• 2.  RE: Do you operate in set business hours, or are you the always-plugged-in type?

Level 3 Contributor
    Posted 05-19-2021 13:59
    I really don't set the business hours options, which I probably should, but I'm a bit of a night owl and since we have a global team with issues and questions that creep up during their day (which can be my night), if I can answer a question or help escalate an issue so one of our regional teams don't have to wait several hours for a response, then it's helpful to keep notifications on and if I feel I don't need to reply, then I'll leave it till morning.

With that said...if I am on a true vacation, then I drop the DND bomb on it all.

Kenneth Law

• 3.  RE: Do you operate in set business hours, or are you the always-plugged-in type?

Posted 05-20-2021 09:06
    I am currently using the standard 8-5 as my work hours. In reality, that's not my schedule. I am a morning person and will usually start my workday around 6:30 or 7 AM. If I see someone pinged me I'll gladly respond. However, I do like having the snooze feature on as it gives me time to fully wake up and prioritize the events of my day. Additionally, it also helps set the expectations that I may not respond immediatly.

Do I use the DND option? No. I think the Busy option is a nicer way of saying, "I'm doing something that requires brainpower but please feel free to leave a message and I'll get back to you when I'm available." I think my current company's culture and my job function give me the flexibility to disengage as needed.

WFH is a blessing!​

Julie Savage

• 4.  RE: Do you operate in set business hours, or are you the always-plugged-in type?

Posted 05-26-2021 04:46
    I have my business hours set as a generic 9-17:30, but I do put in those extra hours when needed and like the ease of being able to adjust this in the 8x8 Work app! In my last job, I had a terrible work life balance and would never switch off. I paid the price very early on in my career and have enjoyed being able to work with more of a set schedule in my current role :)

Cheyenne Davies

• 5.  RE: Do you operate in set business hours, or are you the always-plugged-in type?

Posted 08-30-2021 05:42

I'm with you on this one, Cheyenne!  I believe work hours should have a boundary.  Obviously, special circumstances warrant some out-of-hours work.  But, as much as I can, I focus on a a clear delineation between work time vs. family time.    If you need me after 6pm don't expect me to respond to a ping on the messaging app - CALL ME.  :-D

And, your adherence (or not) to a schedule sets a reputation.  In a sense, you're training your coworkers what they can expect from your.   I have coworkers who pounce on messages at all hours of the day/night - regardless of the priority.   In my mind, when you do that, you're saying "hey, I'm always on.  Feel free to ask my anything, any time."

Steve ONeal

• 6.  RE: Do you operate in set business hours, or are you the always-plugged-in type?

Posted 05-26-2021 23:43
    I have set that option (7:30 AM -6 PM) and I have find it very helpful. I do check my 8x8 work app and emails 1 or 2 times between 6-10PM. If there are any urgent requests I do respond. That helps me continuing my after work hours routine as I don't get notifications when I am out with my family, playing or having dinner etc. I get choice to check the messages on my convenient.

Priyank Jain
    8x8