Open Forum

View Only

8x8 Express : Porting Numbers Out

Jump to Best Answer
Steven C. Buttgereit's profile image
Steven C. Buttgereit posted 10-25-2021 19:20
So I'm trying to port my primary business number out of an 8x8 Express account.  The new provider for that number says 8x8 rejected the port request because I didn't provide a PIN.   OK... great... let's fix that.  After a fair amount of searching I found an article in the knowledge base discussing porting out.

The 8x8 knowledge base article on porting out says my other provider may require a PIN (they don't) and if they do... I have to open a support case with to sort it out.  Clearly I need a PIN because 8x8 apparently rejected for that reason (or so says the other provider).... OK.... but wait I'm an 8x8 Express customer which means I can't open a support case... 8x8 provides no support for this account type: no cases, no contacts, just an incredibly useless bot and knowledge base articles which direct me to processes I can't actually use.  I get it at some level, the account is on the cheap plan and it's right that services are sparse... but holding the business number I ported into the service hostage wasn't exactly stated in the feature limitations either.

I'm looking forward to any guidance.
Zoe Birch's profile image
Zoe Birch Best Answer
Hi Steven 

I have created a support case on your behalf with our dedicated porting team to gather the correct details and PIN (if required) for you to port away the number. You should have received an email with your case number to the email address on your account so if you could reply to this with the number this will save time. 

Many thanks 
Zoe
Zoe Birch
Morning Steven 

Please advise the region of the number you are trying to port away from 8x8? 

Thank you
Zoe
Steven C. Buttgereit
Hi--

It's a 415 / San Francisco, California / USA phone number

Thanks,
Steve
Steven C. Buttgereit
Hi Zoe--

I wanted to say thank you for opening the support request for me.  I received a response from the support team yesterday on the issue and with some luck this will be resolved over the next few days.

I strongly suggest that 8x8 provides an automated path for this to happen, even for the customers on the cheap plan.  As a user of the service, I was sufficiently pleased with the 8x8 service level, enough so that I wouldn't have hesitated to recommend 8x8 to my clients and peers.  But the path out of 8x8 needs to be as simple and fluid as the path into the service.  Taking the better part of a month and then only on the basis of a "Hail Mary" posting in a community forum just isn't what it should be.  As a customer on the plan I signed up for, I think not having regular support access was fine and part of the deal that I made; but I also made that deal on the expectation I'd be able to leave if things weren't quite right for my use case.  

Please accept this as the constructive criticism that it is meant to be.  I should hope that someday, once the complete customer experience has been better established, I would again be able to recommend 8x8.

Thanks,
Steve
Zoe Birch
Hi Steven

As always we appreciate feedback from our customer, past and present and we will work with our porting teams to ensure we have as smooth of a transition out of 8x8 as possible. 

I hope you will continue to recommend 8x8 and hope you see you back as a customer of ours soon. 

Many thanks again
Zoe
Steven Ruffin's profile image
Steven Ruffin
I have this same issue: I was given a PIN, but it was rejected. My company was purchased, and we need to port these lines before the end of the month. When the new carrier attempts to port the numbers in my 8x8 express account, it shows the numbers belonging to Neutral Tandem and somebody called 365 Wireless LLC.

No idea what to do, did you get this reolved?
David Rowlands's profile image
David Rowlands

Steven, good day, I can see my colleague Zoe responded to the main question. I would like to pick-up on the automated port-out pin suggestion you have made in this thread. We have, for some time been working on this process as we know Pins are very frustrating. When we have a secure and robust mechanism, we will be providing this service to our customers across the 8x8 platform.